The strawberry oil used in this recipe adds instant WOW factor to these pretty little things.
2 ½ cups cake flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp strawberry oil
1 tsp pink or red food colouring
icing sugar, for rolling out dough
1. Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder and set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar together in another large bowl. Add egg and beat until incorporated. Add vanilla essence and strawberry oil. Gradually add the dry mixture, beating until combined. Remove half of the mixture from the bowl. Add the food colouring, beat until fully combined. In waxed paper, roll out dough to form a large rectangle. Repeat this step with the other half of uncoloured dough with no food colouring. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
3. Tear out a sheet of waxed paper. Sprinkle surface with flour to prevent sticking. Carefully slide the red dough on top of the white dough. Roll combined dough into a log, creating a swirl effect. Refrigerate again for another 20 minutes.
4. Preheat oven at 180 degrees.
5. Slice the dough into 1cm slices and place onto wax-paper covered tray. Allow about 2 ½ cm between each cookie. Bake in the oven for 10 mins. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.