Wednesday 24 August 2011

wholewheat buttermilk rusks


I've been slack with my baking lately and as much as I don't do excuses, I'm gonna have to give you one. Next week I'll be moving back to Durban after having lived up here in Jozi for exactly a year. With the move comes a new job - Goodbye DraftFCB, hello Wisdom & Youth. So... getting all my shiz together has been at the top of my list of priorities. Blogging/baking has had to take a little bit of a back seat. 

I was visiting Durban last weekend and on arrival I was welcomed by some wholewheat buttermilk rusks. Yes, it was that Mom of mine again. Anyway ladies, the search for a healthy, wholesome snack is over. Do make these, and tell me how you luur dat! (Sorry for the gangsta-ism.)

Ingredients:
500g wholewheat flour
120g cake flour
5ml baking powder
5ml bicarb of soda
5ml cream of tartar
5ml salt
125g butter or margarine
230g sugar
1 egg
250ml buttermilk
125ml oil
Handful of seeds, nuts, dried fruit - optional

1. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients.
2. Combine the egg, buttermilk and oil, and add to the dry ingredients, mixing well.
3. Place the mixture into a large greased loaf pan,35x15cm. Bake at 180 degrees for about 55 minutes.

4. Turn out onto wire rack to cool completely. Cut to desired size. Place on to a biscuit tray and dry out in the warming drawer for 24 hours or in a very low oven - 100 degrees for at least 8 hours. Check on them!

2 comments:

  1. looks delish. Whats the cholesterol content like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cholesterol doesn't look bad at all. They look healthy, so little butter! Cant wait to give them a try!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete