Sunday 8 January 2012

marzipan & strawberry raspberry muffins



A few pages from the book:


It's been a while since I last put up a recipe on the blog! This one comes from a book called Taste Freedom, by Neil Roake. I was lucky enough to be apart of the book... This was my first stint at food and prop styling! I teamed up with stylist/designer Lisa Doyle - we had so much fun working on this together. Styling is definitely an avenue I would love to explore in the future.


This particular recipe actually came from my mom - Neil isn't much of a fan of sweet things, whereas I am (DUH), so I insisted we include a couple of sweet items on the menu for the book. These muffins were craaazy delicious. I made them again this weekend, and when I say they were a hit, best you beleeee-dat!

You can find Taste Freedom cookbook at Exclusive Books, Woolworths and The Space.

Marzipan and strawberry muffins 
Makes 6 large muffins

*I substituted raspberries for strawberries as my mom had picked fresh strawberries from the garden that morning :)

FOR THE FILLING
4-6 tbsp raspberry jam
180g marzipan

300g flour
175g brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg, beaten
1 cup (250ml) milk
150ml melted butter

1. Prepare by preheating the oven to 190 degrees. Place 6 muffin papers in a large muffin pan, then start with the marzipan. 

2. Roll and cut into 12 equal pieces, and flatten with the back of a teaspoon into small circles.

3. Scoop a dollop of raspberry jam on one, and sandwich with another. Keep going, making 6 rounds.

4. Now mix together the egg, milk, melted butter and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Add the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder, stirring well. 

5. Spoon the mixture halfway up the muffin papers. Pop a marzipan and jam circle on top of each, and cover with the rest of the mixture. This is where I added chopped strawberries to the muffins.

6. Bake for 20 minutes, poking with a skewer to check they're cooked through.




1 comment:

  1. YAY nice post cam !!! was such a fun time would LOOOOVE to do a book with you again ... one day !!!
    hope your well sista and still styling love your blog lees xxx

    ReplyDelete