A few pages from the book:
This particular recipe actually came from my mom - Neil isn't much of a fan of sweet things, whereas I am (DUH), so I insisted we include a couple of sweet items on the menu for the book. These muffins were craaazy delicious. I made them again this weekend, and when I say they were a hit, best you beleeee-dat!
Marzipan and strawberry muffins
Makes 6 large muffins
*I substituted raspberries for strawberries as my mom had picked fresh strawberries from the garden that morning :)
FOR THE FILLING
4-6 tbsp raspberry jam
175g brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg, beaten
1 cup (250ml) milk
150ml melted butter
1. Prepare by preheating the oven to 190 degrees. Place 6 muffin papers in a large muffin pan, then start with the marzipan.
2. Roll and cut into 12 equal pieces, and flatten with the back of a teaspoon into small circles.
3. Scoop a dollop of raspberry jam on one, and sandwich with another. Keep going, making 6 rounds.
4. Now mix together the egg, milk, melted butter and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Add the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder, stirring well.
5. Spoon the mixture halfway up the muffin papers. Pop a marzipan and jam circle on top of each, and cover with the rest of the mixture. This is where I added chopped strawberries to the muffins.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, poking with a skewer to check they're cooked through.