I have wanted to share this recipe on my blog ever since I baked these on the weekend. Unfortunately my internet/ADSL line at home has been down for the last few days so I am only able to post this up now. If you're a fan of custard, you will love these... obvs! Once you've had the first bite of a custard cookie you will find it extremely difficult not to come back for seconds. Or thirds. Or fourths. (True story)
125ml icing sugar
5ml baking powder
130ml custard powder
1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Cream the butter and icing sugar in a mixing bowl.
3. Sift in dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Roll out dough and cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters.
5. Place on a baking tray for 15 minutes.
6. Bake until golden brown.
For the royal icing
1 and a half cups icing sugar
1 egg white
4 drops lemon juice
1. Sift icing sugar. Beat egg lightly and then add icing sugar gradually, beating well, until the icing reaches piping consistency. Beat in lemon juice.
2. Colour small quantities of icing according to personal taste. Spoon each colour of icing into a small plastic bag and snip off one corner to make a piping bag. Pipe detail onto the cookies.