Tuesday 11 December 2012

xmas diy no.3: polka dot napkins


Christmas and polka dots. Two of my favourite things at the moment!


What you'll need:
  • seedcloth (cut into squares, each 30cm x 30cm in size)
  • a sewing machine
  • white cotton thread
  • pins
  • red fabric paint
  • paint brush
  • a surface to paint on 



1. Place 30cm x 30cm squares of seedcloth onto your work surface (You WILL end up messing paint on it, so put a little bit of newspaper down first for protection.)

2. Using your paint brush, apply the fabric paint onto the seedcloth in circular shapes to create the polka dots. Make sure to space the polka dots out evenly (roughly 2,5cm apart from eachother).

3. Allow to dry. This may take up to 20 minutes - in that case, go make yourself some coffee or tea whilst you wait!


4. Once napkins are completely dry, the next step is to sew a basic rolled hem. A rolled hem is sewn to ensure no raw edges will fray on your napkins. Although this is super easy, my mom had to guide me on this one (I am still in the rookie phase of sewing!) I found this simple tutorial on how to sew a rolled hem on the interwebs, I reckon it explains it better than I ever could. See here for the tutorial)


Pretty neat huh?


And there you have it, some really cute polka dot napkins for your Christmas lunch! I used a wooden peg to cinch it in the middle to create a bow shape (as seen above).


1 comment: