Sunday, 25 November 2012
recipe: chocolate brownie sandwiches with salted caramel
These brownie sandwiches are probably one of the most indulgent things I've made in a long time! Definitely the kind of thing you would have on an "off-day". Ha ha. The salted caramel was my first attempt and I was really chuffed with how it came out. Caramel can leave you in quite a sticky situation (sorry... I had to) if you don't keep a watchful eye whilst it simmers in the pan.
I served these with vanilla ice-cream which broke up the richness of the brownie. This dessert was definitely the stuff heaven is made of - no matter how sinful! :)
CHOCOLATE BROWNIE SANDWICHES WITH SALTED CARAMEL (Makes 14 sandwiches)
360g dark chocolate, chopped
3 tbsp butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1/4 tsp baking powder, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Place 210g of the chocolate and the butter in a saucepan over a low heat and gently stir until melted and smooth. Set aside.
3. Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat for 15 minutes or until pale and creamy. Add in flour, baking powder, melted chocolate mixture, remaining chocolate and mix to combine. Set aside to to stand for 10 minutes.
4. Spoon tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto the parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for about 8–10 minutes or until puffed and cracked. Allow to cool completely on trays.
For the salted caramel filling:
1 cup butter
2 cups icing sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup caramel (make sure it is cooled if it is homemade. Click here for the homemade caramel recipe)
1. Place butter in a bowl and beat until creamed. Add in sugar and salt and beat until lightly combined. Add in caramel and beat until combined.
To assemble: Spread a teaspoon and a half of caramel filling on the underside of one brownie cookie and place a second brownie cookie bottom side down on top of the frosting.