Once baked, the obvious choice would be to package these biscuits in tin containers but if you really want to make these go a long way - bake them with lollipop sticks and wrap them individually with clear cellophane. I must say there's something really novel about something that is individually wrapped! Secure with twine or even washi tape, and there you have the tastiest little stocking filler!
NOTE: I halved this recipe as it makes PLENTY. A normal batch will make +-40 cookies.
SPICY CHRISTMAS COOKIES
500g plain flour
15ml baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground mixed spice
250g margarine or butter
250g white sugar
2 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease and flour a baking sheet.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon and mixed spice into a mixing bowl.
3. Cream the margarine and sugar then add the eggs one by one, beating well after each addition.
4. Fold in the flour mixture and mix well. Roll out the dough on slightly floured surface (about 5mm thick) and cut out rounds with a cookie cutter. Using lollipop sticks, press gently into the side of each cookie.
5. Place cookies in oven for approximately 10 mins, or until a light golden colour.
Decorate with a *glacé icing.
*For the glacé icing:
2 egg whites
2 tsp lemon juice
2 cups icing sugar
1. Beat well. Hold cookies by outside edges and spread on top. If you would like to add polka dots to your cookies, mix (in a separate bowl) the glacé icing with a drop of red food colouring.